Friday, November 12, 2004

Guy Oseary On the Record



Guy Oseary has a new book out called "On The Record" in which he gabs with music industry insiders that is pretty wacky. Celebrities speak more freely with other celebrities and so he gets some rather amazing musical confessions from the stars. Here are some of the wackier moments:

Bono: "I have to 'fess up to staying in a greasy spoon somewhere listening to the Bee Gee's Greatest Hits. I literally couldn't leave. They left me in a puddle. Maybe it was a bad day at the office, or maybe they proved the rule that genius is only recognized when its well dressed. I shouldn't have been surprised."

*

Guy Oseary: "Did you have any posters on your bedroom wall as a kid? Of whom?

Willie Nelson: I wanted posters."

*

Guy Oseary: "Did you have any posters on your bedroom wall as a kid? Of whom?

Keith Richards: We didn't have posters when I was a kid. This was the late forties, early fifties, after the war, and they weren't on rationing. I used to draw on the wall ...

Guy: What are some great shows you've seen?

Keith: James Brown at the Apollo in 1964. I remember going back to the dressing room and James said, 'Oh yeah, you're the kids from London, England.' It was always 'London, England.' At the time The Famous Flames were performing with him, and I was amazed because he had one of the flames taking his shoes off, and another rushing off to get him some food. Suddenly they'd become his slaves, and I was there, watching this thing go down, saying, 'Whoa! He don't call himself the King of Soul for nothing."

*

Guy Oseary: "What are some of the great shows you've seen?

Gene Simmons: Great shows were not always rock shows. Most bands bore me. 'Here's my new song' ... Yawn!! I always preferred acts that gave me bang for the buck ... like KISS ... I've enjoyed bands, but I've also enjoyed Liberace ... the Radio City Rockettes (I love them) ... and, of course, strip clubs. They're my favorite shows."

*

Guy Oseary: "Did you have any posters on your bedroom wall as a kid? Of whom?

Avril Lavigne: I was never allowed to put posters up on my wall because my mom did not want me to ruin the paint."

*

Guy Oseary: What are some of your favorite songs?

Shirley Manson: 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow,' Judy Garland.

*

Guy: What are some great shows you've seen?

Moby: Any GWAR show. I love GWAR.

*

Guy: What are some great shows you've seen?

Stevie Wonder: Toto.

*

Guy: What are some great shows you've seen?

Ice T: Slayer, Anthrax and Megadeth in Anaheim. They fucking freaked my mind out with upside down crosses. I thought I went to hell. I was turned out.

*

Guy Oseary: "What are some of your favorite songs?

Michael Jackson: ... George Benson's 'On Broadway' ... Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite'"

*

Guy: "What are some great shows you've seen?

James Brown: Chicago was so slick you didn't know if it was jazz or funk or rock, but it was good! Those guys need to come back."

*

Chuck D: "When I was bored I listened to music from the AM pop radio when I was growing up -- James Brown, Steely Dan, Led Zepplin."

*

Babyface: " ... I love the Glen Miller Orchestra ... there is also great country music -- Conway Twitty or Willie Nelson tunes."

*

Guy Oseary: "Did you have any posters on your bedroom wall as a kid? Of whom?

Isaac Hayes: We didn't have posters back then.



Fresh, new posts from The Corsair 2/26/2008: here.

1 comment:

(S)wine said...

Ice T's comment made me bust out laughing. I've loved Ice-T since back in the day.