Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Ode to Neve

neve3

I've got this odd thing about Neve Campbell. She's pretty, but she's not, like, you know, "gorgy", or anything like that -- like Naomi Campbell, after the traditional Hollywood starlet manner. She can be a hammy tv actress -- le jambon, really -- as she was in the syrupy, weepy Party of Five (which, incidentally, I'm embarrassed to say that, on occasion, I got moist-eyed over). And that Saturday Night Live appearance where she came out, all cocksure, fixing the audience with a mock glare, shouting, "Alright .. first off, my name is pronounced Nehv, not Ne-Vee ...!" I don't know ...

There's something about her.

I first got hooked on Neve in that indie ballet thingy she did with Robert Altman, which was really balsy. I just started writing all these fawning blog posts about her. Damn that Altman. He has that flattering photography, this kinetic energy surrounding his lead actresses, and Neve's "swift feet" kind of arrested my attention. Kind of. And she's an eccentric Aquarius, which slays me every time.

Today Page Six reports:

"WHEN pneumatic Neve Campbell arrives at P.M. lounge tonight to celebrate the premiere of 'When Will I Be Loved,' owner Unik will greet her on the sidewalk with conga drummers and samba dancers in dental-floss thongs. The buzz is that Campbell's self-absorbed sudsing in James Toback's new movie is the most cardiac-arresting shower scene since Janet Leigh lathered up in Alfred Hitchcock's 'Psycho.' Also expected are cast members Dominic Chianese, Fred Weller, Karen Allen, Michael Mailer, Richard Turley and Damon Dash. Toback told us: 'There's a 50/50 chance Mike Tyson, who is hilarious in a cameo, will fly in from Phoenix.'"

Unik has good taste. So, pneumatic Neve has a sudsing scene. I'm so there, even if I did have a nasty experience with that punk-ass Michael Mailer a few years back at Elaine's (I would still give up half my bank account for an opportunity to deliver a richly deserved punch in his face). I'll go see the film for "The Neve."


No comments: