Saturday, September 18, 2004

Bjork: No Woman Is an Island



No man is an island, said metaphysical British poet John Donne. And neither, it seems, is the eccentric Icelandic poetess, Bjork, according to Giant Magazine:

"Giant: Is it true that the Icelandic government gave you an island?

"Bjork: They wanted to, but I didn't want it. I'm not good at owing somebody something. I was going to buy a small island up north to get privacy, but if you're given an island they'll have tourist boats circling around it, pointing at you. I mean, I already walk down the street in Iceland and get tourists that walk up to me and poke me with their finger like they've just bought a trip to Disneyland and they met Donald Duck. They totally don't treat me like a human being. (In New York) nobody gives a fuck. That's why it's great to be here.

"Giant: How big was the island?

"Bjork: God, I don't know. You don't think in meters, do you?

"Giant: Sorry.

"Bjork: I can't remember. It was really short, though. You could walk from one end to the other in, like 15 minutes.

"Giant: Are islands expensive?

"Bjork: You'd be surprised! You can actually go on the web and get islands and they'll be the same price as a house."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Q&A on Bjork. Giant looks like it's going to be a cool magazine.

muebles badajoz said...

I saw really much worthwhile data above!